Saturday 26 June 2010

Introduction

Hi there,
There are a lot of frustrated midi guitar players out there.
Guitarists want to be able to expand their sounds like keyboardists. Pitch detection on commercial midi guitars takes time and that time is often too long, resulting in problems with playability.

Sooooo..
I've decided to have a go at using a resistor ladder, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor_ladder), to derive pitch information from the guitar frets by using the contact between the string and fret as a switch. Each fret would have a resistor between it and the next and the highest fret played would be the note, (just like a guitar).
If this works the problems of delay, (latency) would pretty much disappear. False note triggering should also be a thing of the past. I should at this point stress that THIS MAY WELL NOT WORK. clever R&D people have been working at this problem for decades and still not licked it, (BTW there are some precedents for this idea the vox Guitar organ and the zeta mirror 6. Both used a matrix like configuration rather than resitor ladders, neither is still in production).
I have an old crappy electric guitar which I'm happy to experiment on to achieve my goal.
I'm not an electronics or software guy. I'm a musician who sees the potential in music technology to allow me access to the sounds I dream of...
Please feel free to comment on the project and if you have any ideas to share, PLEASE DO. I will probably need all the help I can get..

No comments:

Post a Comment