Friday 2 July 2010

Tuned guitar

I've got the guitar in tune! Only on one string but that's very easily sorted in software. Basically the guitar outputs one of 2 numbers per fret. I have a lookup table that correlates both numbers to the relevant MIDI pitch number and it plays it.
Semitone trills don't seem to work - though anything greater than a semitone does... I blame the Expression controller. It's not optimised for instantaneous jumps in pitch.
During my continuing research I've come across this unfortunate piece of information, "Actually, the ZETA Mirror 6 kicked ass when you played clean, but the fret/string contacts got dirty over time and the performance degraded as this occurred", (http://www.richardhallebeek.com/interviews/mcclish.php). This is from the founder of Zeta, the violin/guitar people. Bugger! I would have thought that the act of playing the guitar would de-oxidise the frets. This conbined with the polyphony problem means that I'm thinking of changing my approach to this problem... Anyway, here's a brief demo of what I've got..

No comments:

Post a Comment